Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Inclusivity

It is always amazing to me to think about all the things we express in words but also in silences and pauses. Amy and I sat reading poetry last night and it was wonderful because she rarely shrares her work. We all do the whole comparison thing when we listen to others. "I'm not that good" or "I'm not as good as her" and it's like, hey, why can't we just be equals here. Your poetry is just as good it's just different. I can't write romantic poetry terribly well. It's that whole anti-Hallmark grudge I carry perhaps, but most of my "romantic" stuff always ends up being political in some way. I think though that we are political creatures whether we want to be or not because the structrures of power and economics make us political. A woman's body and a child's body for example are highly political. You need look no further than the whole abortion rights issue for proof of that. But also, what came out in the salon we did last week, is that as a patient or a pregnant woman you are still subjected to the same sexism that assumes you, as a woman, cannot not possibly know what's good for your body therefore this or that doctor must tell you. You as a mother cannot possibly know more than the physician about what's good for your child, therefore medical science must tell you. I was actually quite impressed by Amy's stories of telling the nursing staff and doctor's off with regard to her pregnancies and childbirths.

Back to poetry. This semester, I worked one on one (or actually one on two but that's sounds funny) with a poetry prof and a english grad student on "politics and poetry" to examine and challenge the way that poetry is political as opposed to just reading "political" poetry. I learned that the simple act of writing and choosing when to not write, where to put a space, a period etc. is just as political an act or statement as writing about war or genocide or abortion. Also, the decision of what is worthy of being published and being read is also political. So, it irritates me when people say well my poetry isn't political like yours. What? Being able to think beyond the lines of conventional writing is wonderfully political. Being able to challege the very idea of what a poem is and can be is political. I suppose it all comes down to what you are trying to communicate with your work and for me, that is always changing. Amy's poetry was great and I wish she'd had more to share. I wish she felt more comfortable sharing it too. I am always more impressed by the people who have something to say or think deeply about something, than those whose main objectives in life are security and sex. Not that those are bad either but come on...think. Inclusivity is what we need, that and "running, jumping, climbing trees and putting make-up on while you're up there, that's where the sexuality is." (eddie izzard for those who aren't familiar with him). It's really cool to see how much people change and grow in just a few years and when we are fortunate these changes are for the better.

Remember:
"All the freaky people make the beauty of the world"--michael franti/spearhead
"stay human"

"Whatever religion makes you a better human being, that's your religion"--His Holiness the Dalai Lama

peace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home