Monday, December 06, 2004

Intolerance

I am intolerant. Difficult. I like to complicate things. I like to challenge ideas and norms and function and disfunction. I hate the cages in the mind and the fist in the mouth existence that so many people lead. I hate the stupidity of such existence. I hate the body-mind worship of the t.v. and the lustful seduction of advertising that robs people of any real connection in this world. If we can't talk to one another, other than in terms of sex and materialism, or sin and hateful religiosity, then I'd rather not talk to you at all. THIS is my intolerance.

I doubt I could be a good teacher because I don't think I could put up for one second with a student who refused to even try to learn in my class. I don't think I could do it. I wish they could create a test that could check for unchallenged perceptions so that people could not graduate without proving that their views have failed to budge in their entire time in college. The core classes are supposed to not only offer a sampling of different disciplines but also to challenge you in every "core" area. I am absolutely intolerant of students who are just punching a time card, waiting for their mediocre grade, hating the people who stand there trying to actually engage them in an intelligent conversation. You may think that college is a waste of time and for you, it must be, if you can't enjoy it and all the wonderful opportunity it affords you. I wish you wouldn't waste others time taking up space in a classroom without ever learning anything from it. THIS is my intolerance.

I don't know if I can fit into any space without trying to change it and this is what scares me.
Are we even SUPPOSED to fit into some preconceived space if it denies and devalues our worth? Do you prefer to be fenced in, kept on a tight leash, bound? Do you prefer the comfort
of alarm systems and airplanes that have the go-ahead to shoot down any potential threat?
Do you feel more peaceful only in times of war? I don't. I am difficult. I refuse to be a prisoner
of such unchallenged thoughts. Are you a political prisoner? Are you a thought criminal? Are you chained to the propaganda that says you're opinion is worthless unless you follow without questioning? Are you free? Are you happy? Are you waiting in a cold chair for a follow up dose
of "reality" "morality" and patriotism? I wish Orwell were alive today. I would love to see what he might write about the year 2004. Or Jim Morrison for that matter. I've always wondered what it might've been like to be able to just listen to him read his poetry. Can you imaging what kind of poetry HE would've written about America today? Or what Malcolm or King might have to say? OR Christ? Wow, there's something to think about. What do you think Christ would say about all that has been done in his name or at least supposedly in accord with his worldview?


peace!

"You can say what you want
Propaganda television
but all bombing is terrorism"--Michael Franti/Spearhead
"Bomb the World" Armageddon version

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home