Thursday, December 02, 2004

Division

Statistics are not my strength. But there are some interesting numbers that have left my mind spinning lately. Namely:

The number of new HIV/AIDS cases that are reported every hour in India: 90 (from the documentary on sexual slavery and the trafficking of women/girls: "The Day my God Died"

The number that U.S. troops in Iraq is "expected to reach" rather soon: 150,000

Number of errors in our national voting system tallied *thusfar*: 30,000

And though this isn't a number, my favorite WTF headline:

EPA Tests Find Rocket Fuel in Nation's Milk, Lettuce (read more about this on truthout.org)

Say it with me now, What the F*ck?
Rocket fuel...hmm..in the lettuce and milk...what?????

Ok. On a less of a downer note (so that Kerri doesn't think I need Prozac or choose to get it herself after reading my blog):

Number of Canadians protesting Bush's "visit" (can you say solicitation? but we don't need anyone do we? especially not those peacelovin nations that question us): "in the thousands or tens of thousands"

On the Vietnam Documentary "Hearts and Minds" there is this scene where a Vietnamese man tells the director to take his daughter's shirt and throw it in the face of Nixon because she can't wear it anymore, she's dead. I wonder how many Iraqis feel that same way. Or people in how many other nations? There is a picture of an Iraqi boy on truthout who appears to have lost his arms and looks badly burned, he's one of those uncounted civilians undoubtedly quite grateful for our democracy by bombs and bullets.

I suppose we just need to think about the fact that oil has apparently dropped below $45 a gallon recently and that Bush is aiming for "unity and not division" on Iraq. Stay focused now.
The little red terror warning isn't on but be vigilant. Prozac for the vigilante.

Ok back to the non downer stuff...I'm sorry but I'm still thinking about the rocket fueled milk thing. Jesus. Do you think they'll have to change the Got Milk ad to Got Fuel? I liked the notmilk ad that read: Got Pus? Makes you want to go pour a huge bowl of cereal and drown it with milk doesn't it? I buy organic milk but with the standards ever being 'lessened' who knows even if that's safe and what about the children in school and all of the hospital patients who get no choice in their food purchasing or the countless people who can't even afford powdered milk. Or the WIC mothers? Hello?

Well, okay ON to the happier, less disgusting news: 3 of Eddie Izzard's old dvd's are going to be released in the States for "the holidays" so that's cool. Better go and finish Rousseau. Joy. Discourse on Inequality. Actually it's not THAT bad. peace!

"This nothing is so normal
You just stand there
I could say so much
but I don't go there
'cuz I don't want to"
...
"but lookin inside we're the same, we're the same"--Matchbox Twenty, "back 2 good"

"No life's worth more than any other
No sister worth less than any brother"--Michael Franti/Spearhead "Crazy, Crazy,Crazy"

"I want a light of some kind"--Ani

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home