Monday, November 29, 2004

Existentialism is a humanism

Sartre once proclaimed that "existentialism is a humanism" and I agree. I think though that we need to move beyond the "I" eternally in crisis to see just how much we need one another to even exist. Case in point, my mom is a newly diagnosed diabetic. She is also an unemployed woman with no insurance and no dependent children to qualify for Medicaid. She is not alone in her situation by any means. Most of those she used to work with have all been "let go" and now "make do" on a third of what they used to make. When people bitch about having to "carry the burden of the uninsured" I want to shake them and say hey, what if it was your mother or your child? Would you care then? Would it be a burden then? The fact is, even fully insured people can't often afford the price of a co-pay or the "patient's share" of the medical bills for a mandatory surgery yet alone cancer treatment or diabetes care. So why people are so afraid of trying to overhaul an obviously faulty system that really benefits very few, is beyond me. Another thing, I work in patient care. I see what happens to even the most "financially secure" working people when faced with months and years of medical expenses...they TOO qualify for "welfare" and have no savings nor any hope for savings. They become POOR. Further, with the dollar dropping in value continually to the euro, with the U.S. being continually propped up by China and Japan, with us funding a "war on terror" and a military that's spanning the globe ever more, how long do you think it will be before every American realizes what it's like to be POOR or admits that they too are workers and that working for the wellbeing of others needn't limit this incessant whiny "I" but can actually benefit all? Including you.

All this crap about limiting choices and extending waits is a scare tactic, nothing more. If waiting in a line is the worst thing I have to deal with I'll cope. I'd rather do that than be afraid of losing a loved one to a perfectly treatable illness for lack of insurance. That's crap. I don't want you to lose either. Can't we find a win-win situation here? This isn't ideology, it is simply being able to relate to one another as one human to another. This isn't a philosophy but a conspiracy of hope.
peace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home