Tuesday, September 21, 2004

a notion in your face, but a world in your eyes

Last thought for the night.
Have you ever stared hard into the eyes of another, to see past the idea you have of them to the beautiful, wonderful, fascinating, creative, intelligent enigma that person actually IS?

I can't wear the identity "American" on my sleeve can I? But perhaps in my walk, talk, or way or dress I do. Perhaps. But perhaps it would be better if I didn't look for a catagory to put you in so that I could relate comfortably to you and in my comfort, in my comfortable numbness, be able to see you as you are, not as I'd think you to be? What do YOU think about when you look at the eyes of a child in a picture? Or a picture from Afghanistan of COUNTLESS men and women running on what legs they have or without legs, but crutches for legs, due to the reality of landmines? What does an image of men holding other men hostage do to your stomach? What does the news story retelling the horrific last hours of children being held hostage (ransom in a horrid political power struggle, really) make you think about the word "terror"? What do you feel when you see a picture of a child who is overweight caught in the act of eating fast food? Or of a child whose belly protrudes from starvation and disease? Or what about the recurrent images that paint those in the Middle East as barbaric, as they drag a body through the streets, lift a bloody flag in the air beneath a parade of fists, or the ones of Palestinian children with faces half-covered, hurling rocks at Israeli soldiers? Perhaps you are already thinking of a catagory to put them in, these images that seem to define a people when in fact all they truly define is the vantage and view of a photographer. I am reminded of the National Geographic article that revisted an Afghani woman whose picture was taken post Sept 11th and her "wild eyes" that "captivated a nation." It is most telling that the woman did not take kindly to her picture being taken yet alone plastered over countless magazine covers. The photographers voyeuristic gaze did not care to acknowlege yet alone respect the fact that her cultural practice of veiling was intended to protect her from such a gaze. Yet I remember that image and her eyes and how for a moment, I thought and sought to understand what it must be like to live in a nation under constant bombs and in a state of perpetual starvation.

Perhaps we search the eyes of others for a communication that goes beyond words, beyond comfort and catagory. So if I'm quiet, it is because I'm trying to see beyond my notion of all that is reflected in your face. Forgive my stare. I'm learning to look at the world in your eyes.

peace!

"Resolution" By Thich Nhat Hahn (from "Call Me by My True Names")
You fight us
because we fight hatred,
while you feed on hatred and violence
for strength.

You curse us
because we don't give man a label
and turn a gun barrel on him.

You condemn us
because you can't use our blood
in paying off your debts of greed;
because you can't budge us
from man's side,
where we stand to protect all life.

And you murder us
just because we bow our heads
before man's love and reason;
because
we steadfastly refuse
to identify him
with the wolves.

"Do not destroy the structure of suchness within you"--Thich Nhat Hahn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home