Monday, September 12, 2005

how it ends

This is a poem I wrote about divorce but also about trying to explain to a child how adults can be SO unwilling to negotiate. Some people really must make an enemy or hateful situation out of something rather than see things end peacefully. Some people seem to think that anger is more a normal and "rational" response to frustration than trying to foster love, compassion and understanding. So I wrote this poem after trying to explain to my son about divorce and changes in behavior as adults become less and less friends and more and more strangers bordering on being enemies. I've revised it slightly here. My son calls divorce "Divortion" which I find quite an interesting idea. Sounds more like a process that way, does it not? Divortion? Anyhow, here's the poem.


"how it ends"


adults fight
and buildings fall
years become secondary
to the present
war
and words are shrapnel
bullets
and glass shards
depending upon the amount of time
silence has nurtured
hurt
i can not explain it
to make my child understand
he holds my hands and cries
and i cry with him
couldn't you just say you're sorry?
couldn't you try again?
why do people have to hate?
why does everyone go away
in the end?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home