Monday, May 24, 2004

perspectives 2

I intended this site to be human rights focused so what might a cancer patient's (or my feelings about working with her) have to do with that?
Well, consider for a moment the comfort in distance, in being safely removed emotionally or emotionally numbed enough to consider prisoner torture "funny?" (This, I read, was Lynnddie Englands' public response to the question "Didn't you know what you were doing was wrong???")
I think it is very difficult not to Other. By this I mean, not to further the obvious divide of differences/spaces/perspectives between you and I or us and them or however you want to break it down. So, my last post was my attempt to explain and explore the raw emotionality of a situation, of a reality, that is similar to bearing witness. Working on a cancer ward, you often witness what most people would certainly rather not: a helplessness to stop suffering and the impossibility to stop death. In this way, I think of those service members suffering and dying in Iraq, Afghanistan (and other places)and just how far "normal war" dehumanization can go in the face of helplessness and massive systemic Othering of said/chosen "enemy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home